Skip to main content

Dance of the Seven Veils - "Salome - The Seventh Veil" Review

Hello again, and it's another good Sunday evening... or perhaps it could be a Monday morning by the time zone here.

Another day at work, and I figured that I could sit down and finally continue the album reviews for the Xandria albums as I've done for the Manuela Kraller era and the current line-up with Dianne van Giersbergen so far.

Now we head backwards in time to the era of the original vocalist Lisa Middelhauve with her final album in the band this 2007, making it a ten year old album. Today's review will be "Salome - The Seventh Veil".


Save My Life
One of the two singles off from the album, this opening track for the album is known to be a live staple for shows before the current Tour of Dimensions set in and placing it on the side for now. I feel like this song is about a battle between life and death, and someone is calling for their love to reach out for them before it is too late. Chorus is quite catchy as well. I'm hoping to hear this song sometime when Xandria come back to Canada on their next tour.

Vampire
This got my attention the most as I have a thing for horror legends whether it's Nosferatu or an vampire film in general, except Twilight or anything related to Twilight. Featuring a crushing amount of heavy guitar tones and a creepy setting in the chorus, I almost feel like this song relates to some villains like Nightmare Moon (MLP:FIM) or Serana from the Skyrim DLC "Dawnguard". Pretty sure this one is a favorite for me.

Beware
I thought this was an alright track. I can sense a bit of a musical tone mixed into a bit of a 'Nightwish' for this song especially with the synthesized orchestra in the background. Not a favorite but I feel like I should listen to this one a little more.

Emotional Man
Another decent track, but not my favorite either. The synth definitely provides a good opening at the beginning, and there are reflections of alternative rock heard during the verses. I can't really decipher the message to this song, but perhaps it's based on the personality of a female superstar despite their beauty on the outside, and saying that they are not what they seem. Remind me to check this out a little more.

Salome
The title track of the album, it starts off with a bit of a wind blowing sound along with a clean, distant guitar tone which I feel begins in the desert during Biblical times. Considering this song is a concept, it is all about Salomé, whom in the Bible is one of the daughters who would dance and be given John the Baptist's head on a platter. Though it is a different kind of story in this one based on the lyrics. The song does pick up in tempo and features a kick-ass guitar solo. Will have to add this one to my favorites.

Only for the Stars in Your Eyes
Starting off with a killer riff, this song is mostly a love song about two in love. I feel like this song could relate to one of my fictional loves from the Mass Effect universe called "Tali". I picture her by the lyrics in this one, especially with the chorus. I'm pretty sure with that and the catchy guitar riff and singable chorus, this will go into my favorites.

Firestorm
Another good track, and I feel like this matches along with a familiar Mother of Dragons in the series called "A Song of Ice and Fire". I also picture myself, flapping the wings in a dream into a hurricane that isn't clouds, but more swirling clots of fire in the sky and riding with the wyverns. A catchy chorus in this one almost reminds me of "Slaying the Dreamer".

A New Age
It starts off with a bit of a desert-like sound, and I am already picturing myself standing outside of a ruined temple and looking across the plains of sand to the ancient pyramids. There are many there that come to the temple I stand at to enter in to embrace the new age they live in. The riffs in this one especially with the synthesizer, and Lisa's vocals are powerful in this one as they opened many concerts with this song.

Sisters of the Light
The second single from the album, and it features a bit of a mixture of Arabic and Indian tones at the beginning of the song, which makes you feel like you are living in Delhi or in the Middle East during the old times. When I'm not picturing that, I think about both the Princesses Celestia and Luna from my favorite series, or it could be the twin sisters Koume and Kotake from the Zelda series (Ocarina of Time). A very catchy chorus, and you might already find yourself singing along to this song. I'd say that this is one of my all-time favorite Xandria tracks off from this album.

The single also features a remixed version of the song.

The Wind and the Ocean
Before I heard this song, there was an error printed on the back for the tracklist by which "Sisters of the Light" came first. A bit of a derp there, but I corrected it when putting in the track names to put on my iTunes. This one is basically a ballad, and it sounds rather majestic along with that piano in the background. Lisa's vocals once more and again, sound soft like you are being drifted off to sleep with the waves at the beginning of the track. It's ending is peaceful and you never know cause you might have fallen asleep as this feels like a lullaby. A beautiful song.

Sleeping Dogs Lie
Second last song on the album, and the beginning feels like a bit of an adventure or a bit of a fight in the desert as I picture the desert setting throughout the album with the exception of a few tracks. Not really a favorite for me, but I found myself enjoying this one. Perhaps I'll listen to this one more, and eventually I'll find that I will enjoy this one more. Enjoyed the Arabic singing in the background during the pre-bridge.

On My Way
The closing song on the album, and I feel like this relates to me finally having begun travelling by myself like to Montreal this last month to see the band that I am reviewing. I also picture a bit of my fictional crushes joining me on the journey to see the rest of the world and how we are riding a camel into the plains of the desert into the unknown. Perhaps it is Egypt, or somewhere between Jordan and Jerusalem. The guitar solo has some perfect snaps, and definitely made some good timing after the chorus.

Favorite tracks:
  • Save My Life
  • Vampire
  • Salome
  • Only for the Stars in Your Eyes
  • Sisters of the Light
  • The Wind and the Ocean
  • On My Way
Overall
I enjoyed this one a lot. It definitely had a good feeling for this one, and I am quite sure that I might be feeling the same for the earlier albums that I am to review next as there are only three more to go review and listen through. Lisa Middelhauve is one of the vocalists that are in my favorite, even if she is underrated. I want to meet her one day, but unfortunately that might not be the case as she's retired from singing and has changed her stance on vocals. I give this album a 8.7 out of 10.

For the next album, we will dive into the year 2005 and dig into the past, including the song that introduced me to the band in the first place with the title India.


Until then, time for bed and here's to hoping all of you have a good rest and wake up refreshed on Monday morning.

\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh