Skip to main content

August 2017 - Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday, as you all know. Exciting isn't it?



Anyhoo, we'll just go to my Top 5 Picks for the month - and all of them are based on my favorite all-time band: Nightwish.

5. Angels Fall First


From their debut album released 20 years ago, this is their title track for such a wonderful album. When I heard this album for the first time, I had already gone through the others and had to listen to this one and Century Child next. This one was very much like an acoustic ballad, and it made me imagine that I was in a wintery forest for this song. Whenever I think of Nightwish, I picture mostly the season of winter no matter where I am.

4. Seven Days to the Wolves


One of my favorites when others ask me of what songs I enjoy out of the Anette era of Nightwish. I actually have used this song as inspiration for a fanfiction that I am currently working on, and a lot of stuff from Dark Passion Play has helped me in writing it.

3. Elan


Before the release of Endless Forms Most Beautiful, their first single off of the album called "Elan" was leaked. I managed to hear the leak itself, but it was mostly for the radio edit. I did pre-order it in advance, and was eager to listen to it that February morning - days before Valentines Day. I was not disappointed, and it led me to pre-ordering the album off of iTunes.

2. Romanticide


I finally got to hear this song being played for the first time last year in London, Ontario for their 2016 show. (The day I got to meet them.) I recalled that it was an average song for me, but now it's a favorite on epic proportions. I always imagine the main character of my fanfiction being captured by the Queen of the Changelings when I hear this song. Floor did a fantastic job with this live, and I hope to hear it again someday.

1. Amaranth


This is the first song that I had ever heard from Nightwish and introduced me to the band in the first place. On my first listen, I thought this was a bit of an Evanescence sounding tune, but eventually having remembered this song when I found out they and Kamelot were coming to Toronto and proceeded to place this and Storytime on repeat for the next few days. Literally was stuck in my head until I finally saw them.

Honorable 5 Mentions:
Lordi - Nailed by the Hammer of Frankenstein
Ghost - Square Hammer
Xandria - Sisters of the Light
Sabaton - Carolus Rex
Epica - Mother of Light

That's all for now! Next coming up after Fan Expo is: Deep Purple w/ Alice Cooper & Edgar Winter and Epica w/ Lacuna Coil, Insomnium & Elantris. Scorpions w/ Megadeth should follow later this September.

\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh