Skip to main content

A New Hope for Transformers - A "Bumblebee" Reflection

So it happened... it finally happened.

We finally got a good Transformers movie after eleven whole years. And this time, Michael Bay wasn't involved with directing it. Last post I made, I had hopes that this would be one to fix up the franchise a bit. My prediction became true.

I present to you: Bumblebee. As usual, Spoiler Alert.


It was the summer of 2018 when the first trailer for the new Transformers movie was released. After having dealt with the biggest POS that was "The Last Knight" last year's summer, I had almost lost all hope for the Transformers movie. After seeing the trailer, I could tell that this was a soft reboot to the film franchise, giving it a whole new fresh start.

Travis Knight was the new director in the chair and along with him, they had a new writer that actually gave us a good story that could be followed along well to.

No more did Michael Bay have an influence in this one. He was plopped straight into the producer's chair along with two or three other producers. I mean, being that Transformers 6 was removed from the upcoming film list, the industry got really tired of him destroying the franchise and giving it a bad name.

So far, the new movie has been really slow in the box office in regards to making money due to the "Michael Bay Effect" that plagued from the last four movies. Well, when the franchise is milked by someone who loves constant explosions, fart jokes, out-of-character and having the same plot over and over - yeah, you can bet that it would make much less than you'd end up expecting. People usually get skeptical before the movie is even released. But again, the movie is stuck in competition between Mary Poppins Returns and Aquaman.

93% from the critics is obviously a sign that this movie was fantastic. I go into the movie with my friend Emily, and both of us came out really excited and happy that we got a great film. We felt that this is what the Transformers movies should have started with. Had this been the one in 2007, then it would have been much more hype - even for me when I saw Transformers back then at 13 years old.

Now what can I say about this movie, it's a great film for everyone including families and the character himself is very much an icon for the little ones.

The main character Charlie Watson played by actress / singer Hailee Steinfeld completely stood out, and actually had a good personality that is much more tolerable than Shia LeBeouf who would constantly be screaming for Bumblebee or Optimus, and acting like a smartass just to take up the screen. Charlie in this one, has a good backstory that gives her development in her character. Her chemistry with Bumblebee and their development to friendship in this movie was better than Sam in the previous films.

The story isn't the same old usual "find this ancient artifact before the Decepticons do", this is a more family friendly film, though I noticed throughout the film that it has elements similar to those of other films like E.T. and The Iron Giant. Yeah, it's a Transformers version of both those films thrown into a blender. There is humor in this, but it's nothing too extreme or silly like the other Bayformers did.

For the villains, it isn't the traditional Megatron formula, but more solely two Decepticon assassins named Shatter and Dropkick who trick the humans into working with them. One of the humans is a villain at first played by John Cena. John's character is decent but he sometimes tries too hard to be serious, considering he's usually playing a big role in comedies.

Optimus has appearances in this one as well as some G1 moments that had me sitting there in awe. Hearing Soundwave's voice and hearing a snippet of Stan Bush's "The Touch" really made me more excited than ever, and it's great timing too because this takes place in the mid-late 1980s, when G1 Transformers was at its all-time hype.

Do I recommend this movie? Definitely an absolute yes. If you're big into Transformers, then this is definitely a go-to movie. If you aren't much of a Transformers fan, I'd still say see it for an enjoyable experience.

There are talks in motion for another movie in the franchise if this all goes well, if so... then I beg: Please have an Optimus Prime movie! That I would pay to see!

Comments

  1. This movie was great and a fresh start. I hope they keep it that way with the franchise from now on. Oh Primus if we get a movie centered around on it, can we have Charlie come back? I can't see any other human protagonist having a role except her and I'll never understand why the human protagonist who OP likes the most is always male.

    Anyhoo, I loved this movie and am almost done my own review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

November 2017 - A Missed Opportunity

Hello everyone! How is everyone doing? I'd like to first off apologize for the long delay of posting for a while as I have been doing my own thing which also includes being at work. Not exactly the easiest you know. I've delayed a hella lot on concert reviews and thoughts, but I will most likely have one coming up in early December, with an album review coming before. Well, since I missed writing for October, I will be including 10 songs for this blog post for favorite songs of November 2017. 10. Animals as Leaders - On Impulse I recall that this was the first AAL song that I have heard, which includes one of my favorite guitar players ever: Tosin Abasi. For this album and as a guitar player in general, he uses an eight-string guitar, and uses the bottom string as part of bass. This would probably be one of my favorites as well as a few others. 9. Between the Buried and Me - Lay Your Ghosts to Rest At least one or two of my friends have recommended this band t