Skip to main content

Away to a Land - A "Neverworld's End" Review

Alright, one more album review before I halt on them for the case of me travelling for a bit of time. Once I have got back from Montreal and written down the experiences I had with Xandria both there and in Toronto; then I will continue. So in advance, I do apologize for the delay.

For this album review of one of Xandria's albums, it will be the album that was known for being the only one to feature the singer "Manuela Kraller". This is their fifth album Neverworld's End.


When I first heard of this album, at the time I was only warming up and was so used to both Lisa's vocals and the album India. I was actually looking for India, but the FYI said that they only had Neverworld's End. In that matter, I actually declined on having it.

Now after purchasing this album, I now own a physical copy to say the least and I am quite happy with being someone who owns it in his own hands. The whole album itself had a large sound that proved that they must have been influenced by Nightwish for this album whether it being both the Tarja or Anette era at the time.

So now, let us go over the tracks on the album; and the bonus tracks as well.

A Prophecy of Worlds to Fall
For an opening track on the album, it definitely has a kick-ass melody and thrilling riffs in this one. I thought it was a very good song, but I do not think that it is one of my favorites on the album. The intro of this song does have a sense of Game of Thrones with the violin in the backing. When I hear this song, I can picture a final stand on a crumbling world against a shadowed figure.

Valentine
One of their hits to play live, I can already assume by the set lists of their current tour that it will be the final song that they perform for both of the two nights I'll be seeing them. Orchestra in this one is very powerful, along with Manuela's vocals. A favorite off of this album. Love the riffs on this album as well.

Acoustic version of this song can be found on the Deluxe edition of Theater of Dimensions.

Forevermore
A great ballad on the album. When I hear this song, I can imagine myself flying in a dream-like state above the clouds, with a beautiful view of the white snow mountains below in a sunset. In the bridge before the solo, it almost gives off yet another Nordic sound in its choir before the roar of the lead guitar rips in. Another favorite of mine from this album.

Euphoria
Here's another track they will most likely play both nights in concert. This one has a large build-up, and then kicks in the guitar riffs and Manuela singing along with the choir for the opening lyrics. I'd probably say that this could be a favorite, but for some odd reason it's not. I'll have to let this song grow on me.

Blood on My Hands
I really enjoyed this one a lot especially with all of the orchestra, and it's quite a catchy song to headbang to when the chorus kicks in. It just has to grow on you when you first hear it, and you could find yourself singing this song before you even know it. When I hear this song, I picture it being winter time and the cold frost flying over a small river of black water.

Soulcrusher
Holy geez, I didn't think I've ever headbanged this much in my life when I first heard this song. You can almost imagine yourself facing off against a demon trying to absorb souls, or a giant out-of-control beast no matter which environment it is taking place in. Sadly, I wish I can hear this song being played live, but no matter... a favorite.

The Dream is Still Alive
Another ballad yet again, and it's a decent track. Probably not the best one on the album, but I still enjoyed it. I feel like this could fit in after a final battle had taken place and the darkness can no longer conquer, getting ready for the season of spring to bloom again. It feels like it's a song about thinking your dream is over, but it still remains as there is more to see even in this world. Love the mystical feel before the final chorus kicks in.

The Lost Elysion
An epic track indeed! A shame that I might not hear them play this song in concert when I see them, as if I could; I'd ask the band to play this song. I picture myself in battle against a thousand enemy soldiers in a sea-side village that they have torn down themselves and conquered, making it a quest for me to re-take from them for the captive people there to live freely and in peace. They have plenty of wonderful riffs in this song especially that synthesizer solo in the middle of the song.

Call of the Wind
Beginning with another Game of Thrones violin sound, it has a load of build-up in this song leading into the first verse. This one almost reminds me of the Epica song "Dancing in a Hurricane" with how the chorus sounds, and I can picture myself on top of the sailing ship riding the ocean and the wind blowing in my face with the waves stirring below the ship.

A Thousand Letters
The final ballad on the album, and another beautiful favorite for me. It's almost as if you are being sent away from family to ensure you are protected from the horrors of war itself, and then heading on a journey back home from a thousand miles to see that girl of your dreams waiting for you. I really loved this one and it almost had that tone of "Away" by Nightwish.

Cursed
Most likely this will be another track from this album that they will play live. I can feel that there is a bit of a pirate tone in this one especially with the whispers at the beginning of the song with the marching guitar riff. It almost reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean, which does remind me that I still have to see the new movie when it comes out into theatres. Even so, I can picture Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones facing off against one another when I hear this song.

The Nomad's Crown
The finale to the album, I can picture that a world is being conquered over by a dark spirit who keeps a close eye to all of his subjects with all of the people getting down and praying for a hero to come and bring them freedom from the monarchy that watches their every move no matter where they are. I picture a desert setting in this one, as if it is the beginning of time. Not a favorite, but I enjoyed this one.

When the Mirror Cracks [Bonus Track]
A track that can be hard to find unless you manage to stumble upon a Digipak or Japanese copy of this album, that has this track. Personally, it's an alright track. I guess in the chorus that the lyrics tell is that someone in their point of view is waking up from a nightmare.

The Sailor and the Sea [Bonus Track]
I could only find this song on the vinyl edition. It almost sounds like "The Islander" from the Nightwish album Dark Passion Play, but with Manuela on vocals. I enjoyed this one, but I do not feel it to be a favorite. It gives off an autumn feeling in this one for me, and I picture a sailor looking out from the dock towards the sea.

Favorite tracks:
  • Valentine
  • Forevermore
  • Soulcrusher
  • The Lost Elysion
  • A Thousand Letters
Overall:
I always did wonder what the future of Xandria would have been like if Manuela decided to stay in the band. I feel sad that she departed from the band, but at the same time; I really enjoyed her presence on this album and I hope I can hear form her again sometime soon. Overall, a good album that I enjoyed. I give this album a 7.8 out of 10.

Now comes the big pause, but when I get back... it'll be time to go backwards into the Lisa Middelhauve era as I have been doing for the Xandria albums. Next album is surprise... a concept album and I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Their fourth album "Salom̩ РThe Seventh Veil".


\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh