Skip to main content

May 2017 - Where the Heart is Home

After some careful thought and I've been thinking about it for quite a bit of a while, so I decided 'why the hell not?' and typed this out. It's the end of the month of May, and I am going to label down on a few of the songs that were really good this month.

Well, not the best ones... but the ones that I really enjoyed. These are my Top Five Songs of May 2017: (It'll be counted down from 5 to 1.)

5. Sirenia - Dim Days of Dolor


My mind was blown away when I was introduced to this song for the first time live in concert when I was seeing them on May 17. Emmanuelle is such a beautiful singer, and they have quite a fantastic sound. This is from their new album which is the same title as the song, and it's the first album without Ailyn who left the band some time ago. Both Emmanuelle and Morten have signed my copy of their new album and I am quite happy to have met them. Hopefully they come again to Toronto soon!

4. Blind Guardian - Battlefield


One of these classics from the early 2000's, Blind Guardian has been known for being the legends of beginning Power Metal in the first place - alongside Helloween. This is when they were in their progressive-power metal year with their album 'A Night at the Opera'. No, it's not to be mistaken for the Queen album which is the same name. When I hear this song, I picture a scene from a fanfiction that I am writing at the moment where the main character is battling an evil queen in the castle on a hot summer day. I first heard this song when going through random Blind Guardian songs.

This song can also be found on an Adult Swim game called "Robot Unicorn Attack".

3. Powerwolf - Lupus Dei


I was introduced to Powerwolf a few years back in 2014 when my friend Emily was talking about it. I recently have given her the two boxsets for the History of Heresy that included this album that the song is named after - as well as the other three older albums before Preachers of the Night came out. The song starts off with a church setting with the sound of the organ and Attila leading the track with his phenomenal vocals that almost remind me of a mixture between 'Dave Mustaine' and 'Russell Allen'. I'll have to make sure to buy their two recent albums soon.

2. Rhapsody (of Fire) - Emerald Sword


You wouldn't exactly believe my reaction when I finally got to hear this song being played live back when Luca Turilli came on June 1, 2016 at the Mod Club in Toronto. This song is just a brilliant wonderful masterpiece by both Luca, Fabio Lione Alex Staropoli and past Rhapsody members "Alessandro Lotta" and "Daniela Carbonera". This almost makes me feel like I heading out on a grand adventure into the wild to search for an ancient sword. Belted my voice out to this song when I finally heard it in concert.

This was released when I was such a little kid - maybe four or five years old? At the time, I guess this song would definitely apply for when I was into the childhood game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". Nowadays, I think about "The Elder Scrolls" when I hear this song, like I am on a quest in Skyrim to search into a dungeon for a item I was tasked to find. Love this song big time, would pay to see it played when Luca, Fabio, Patrice Guers, Dominique and Alex Holzwarth bring their farewell tour to North America - in Toronto of course!

1. Xandria - Call of Destiny


A long five year wait in the making to see the German metal band 'Xandria' live in concert twice in both Montreal and Toronto - and from their newest album "Theater of Dimensions" is the only song that has had a music video as of yet.

This is the second single off from the album, the first one being "We Are Murderers (We All)". I consider this song to be at the number one spot for the Top 5 of the month, considering that this would be a Xandria-related month for me. Dianne's vocals are phenomenal on this one - and the guitar solo is kick-ass along with the epic choir to back up the band. Gerit does a great job in coordination with the drums along with the kick-ass riffs provided by both Philip and Marco.

Brilliant song, Xandria. I am looking forward to seeing you all again when you come back to North America. I'll most likely go back to Montreal to catch the show - you never know! 😉

----

Not really much else news to go around, but in the mail I have received one of the Rhapsody CDs that I need to have for the Rhapsody of Fire collection I am slowly building up. It's the album "Rain of a Thousand Flames", but however "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" didn't arrive to my disappointment. Not to fear, I'll just buy another copy for another seller. If the one I ordered arrives when I order the new copy; I'll just give that copy to a friend.

I also got a shirt in the mail today as I am prepping up for a rather big show in July. Yes, you guessed it...


This is one of their shirts from one of their own intimate shows they have last year in December as part of their WorldWired Tour that is currently ongoing. This shirt was from their Los Angeles show, and it was in the clearance section of the band's online store for only $4.99 as they had to clear out all of the shirts. I could only get it in a 'Small' size, but it was a great deal nevertheless.

Since I am heading to their July 16 show in Toronto at the Rogers Centre - this'll give me a great time to prepare. And hey, it also would have marked a year since I saw Guns n' Roses at the same place. The only difference is that I am going to be on the floor for Metallica.

With Guns n' Roses having announced a new Toronto show at the Air Canada Centre, I am making plans on heading right back to the jungle once again after a phenomenal show last year - except it'll be in late October after seeing Roger Waters at the same venue earlier in that month. I'm honestly really excited and I can't wait as it'll be twice that I've seen both Slash and Axl together like good ol' times.

Until then, I am signing off and getting ready for the month of June! A few things I should cover in that month is when: I could be going to Sound of Music Fest in Burlington close by for their kick-off concert featuring bands like The Offspring, Marianas Trench and Smash Mouth, and a review of Transformers: The Last Knight after I see it since it comes out this month in theaters.

\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh