Skip to main content

Dancing in the Wind - "India" Review

Another review to post today after deciding to sit down and continue the reviews for the Xandria albums, as after this there are only two more Xandria studio albums left to go.

This album titled India is where there was one specific song that got me into this band when I discovered them back in summer 2012. Once we get to that song in the review, I will obviously point it out.


This album was released in 2005 near the end of August, so I would have been 11 years old at the time. Being young at the time, the only ones that I knew of that were popular here was Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance and Evanescence. I do admit that I really enjoy the Evanescence music and I am aware that a new album is in the works and might be coming out this year.

India
The opening track for this album starts off with a bit of water streaming along in the ocean along with the crashing of waves to the rocks. Then comes the epic choir to begin the song, followed by the sounds of instruments filled with great distortion and the drums done by Gerit Lamm himself. This song makes me feel like I am sailing on a ship to a distant land, though the lyrics suggest it's on the way to the treasures of the country India. Lots of people I know are suggesting I visit there, and I do have an aunt and uncle currently there - so I might visit! You never know.

Now & Forever
One of Xandria's classics and one of their live hits as well. This song starts off with a synthesizer that sounds like it's about to go into a electro-rock song at first, but then evolves into a masterpiece with the synth filling in for a symphonic tone. Lisa's vocals are brilliant in this one and definitely mysterious as well. I dream of flying to the skies in a dream-like valley of green when I hear this song.

The 2015 version on the Fire & Ashes EP sung by Dianne van Giersbergen is also wonderful and has a symphony instead of the synthesizer in the original version. I do like both versions of the song.

In Love with the Darkness
This is the song that first introduced me to Xandria when I was browsing through random PMVs about MLP:FIM villains. That is when I heard this song playing in one of the videos, and I thought to myself from the synthesizer melody in the beginning that it sounded interesting so I listened and in the end enjoyed the result for the song. It's one of my favorite songs by Xandria and I am hoping to hear this song one day as they haven't played it since 2011. A dark queen ruling over an eternal night is what comes to my mind when I hear this song.

Fight Me
Another song that I first heard when I was introduced to the band, and it had that kind of tone that I might have listened to this song before but didn't really pay attention to know who it was at the time. When I hear this song, I imagine myself in battle with demons who are trying to take control of me, though I will not surrender to their values. Another favorite song of mine off of this album.

Black & Silver
I thought this song was okay. It definitely has a good melody to it, but I will have to listen to this song a little more to get that 'essence'. To admit, I do like the Indian singing at the beginning of the song because it makes me feel like I am walking through the streets of Delhi or a market in the Middle-East.

Like a Rose on the Grave of Love
Starting off with the sound of Uillean pipes, I at first thought that Troy Donockley from my favorite all-time band Nightwish made an appearance on this album but later found out that it was another artist doing that. Lisa is not on vocals for this song, but instead has Jessica Thierjung from Lyriel singing for this one. It definitely has a autumn-like feeling for this song like leaves falling over a graveyard in that time. Probably one of my favorites from this album.

Widescreen
Also from the B-Side of the single for In Love with the Darkness, this track feels like it is about seeing what happens in the world from a point of view from who wants us to be who they want - and that we can't change that. This song is not a favorite of mine, but I thought it was good.

The End of Every Story
This track was decent. Still has those intense crushing distortion along with the opera-like vocals of Lisa Middelhauve illuminating in this song. I'll have to listen to this one more often.

Who We Are (And Who We Want To Be)
I too have to listen more to this one as well. When I hear this song, I think of me just actually thinking for myself and not depending on anyone to do the thinking or form the opinion for me. A good song, but I need to hear it more.

Dancer
Another favorite of mine, and I love the symphony in this ballad. When I hear this song, I think of one of those fictional characters that have wings and fly to the skies like Fluttershy. I also picture this song fitting into an anime from Japan. Brilliant ballad and if Xandria was to do a symphony show this would be a great song to perform.

Winterhearted
I can sense a winter theme in this song by the sounds of what almost relates to an ice cavern blowing out wind. Picturing myself walking out in the winter snow with this song is something I would do when I can. Though I can relate a bit to this song as I usually have the finger pointing at me to be blamed for things that I didn't do. It's something that I had to grow up with.

Return to India
The final track on the album, and I believe it is also a continuation of the first song on the album. The sitar-like sounding strings definitely make me feel like I am already in India, exploring its fields and cities along with the view of the golden sun shining down onto the land. The voice at the end of the song is spoken by Grant Stevens, and the song closes with the crashing of waves and water flowing, including the sound of seagulls. A brilliant way of ending the album.

Lullaby [Bonus Track]
A bonus track on some editions on the album, but can be found on the Now & Forever - Best of Xandria compilation CD along with some unreleased songs. This one sounds like an acoustic love ballad that definitely gives off a bit of a lullaby for those needing to get to sleep. It's a good song, though I don't necessarily favor it.

Favorite tracks:
  • India
  • Now & Forever
  • In Love with the Darkness
  • Fight Me
  • Like a Rose on the Grave of Love
  • Dancer
  • Winterhearted
  • Return to India
OVERALL
I really enjoyed this album a lot, and I was really happy to finally own it after five years of searching for the album. Many times when I tried to find this album, I could only end up finding Neverworld's End in stock. I almost gave up until I found it for sale on Amazon. So I bought it off from there, and I haven't looked back since.

The next album review coming up will be their second album which included two of their most-known masterpieces, Ravenheart!


The review will come again sometime soon, because tomorrow starts the beginning of the July concerts. First show upcoming is Boston w/ Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, so expect a post of my thoughts on that when it happens. Upcoming as well will be Iron Maiden w/ Ghost and Metallica w/ Avenged Sevenfold & Volbeat. I'll report on how those shows went as well.

\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh