Skip to main content

Hardwired... at the Speed of Light

After a good couple months of waiting for it to actually happen, I can now say that I have lived two epic days of my life seeing two bands on Saturday that I've seen already. On Sunday it was my first time ever catching this one band, thus I have now completed on seeing all of the Big Four at last!

I was seeing both Iron Maiden with Ghost, and Metallica.


I waited 15 years to actually see Metallica which means I was 8 years old at the time. I was too young to go to concerts and the last time they were here was back in 2008 / 2009. Being that they don't really tour anymore, they are more likely to play at Heavy MTL in Montreal, Quebec. I ended up buying the ticket as part of the fanclub pre-sale days before they went on sale to the public.

Before I get into that, I will tell you all about my experience with Iron Maiden w/ Ghost.

Iron Maiden w/ Ghost - July 15, 2017 (Fourth Ritual for Ghost)


This would be my third time seeing Iron Maiden as I see it being tradition for seeing them every time they come to Toronto. Ghost joining them for this tour shown that it would be my fourth ritual seeing them, and it was my friend Emily's third ritual. This show would be at the Budweiser Stage which previously had been the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre.

We took the train to the Exhibition and walked around as there was the Derby racing going on. Once at the venue, we got our tickets scanned and entered the venue. I bought a pizza to munch on before the show, as Ghost would come on at 7:30pm.

The music of the choir wasn't present, but they did have the intro music with the dark choir from that one Stanley Kubrick movie. That was the sign when I knew I was going to see the Popestar once again as he and the other ghouls take the stage.


The band opened up with their current hit single Square Hammer, and as usual they rocked the house even if the setlist itself was short featuring only seven of their songs. Papa Emeritus III sounds phenomenal as always, and the sound of the guitars and drums blew me away.

From the rumors I heard at the sound booth being now true, James Hetfield of Metallica was at this show rocking out to Ghost. I think even Papa pointed him out but I can't remember.

Thank you Ghost for the fourth ritual.

Ghost Setlist
  1. Square Hammer
  2. From the Pinnacle to the Pit
  3. Ritual
  4. Cirice
  5. Year Zero
  6. Absolution
  7. Mummy Dust
  8. Monstrance Clock

After Ghost had wrapped up their set, next up were the heavy metal legends from the United Kingdom itself...


Bruce Dickinson sounded amazing like always when his voice opens up the show for their first song If Eternity Should Fail. It was the same setlist as it was when I was seeing the band at the Air Canada Centre last year - so not really much difference. He happened to have been flying over Hamilton from reports before heading to the show to perform, as he is also a pilot as well. In fact, he actually flies the tour plane everywhere when on tour with Iron Maiden.


They had the pyro as usual on their special songs and even brought out the British flag to wave around during The Trooper. Bruce dressed up as a Britain soldier for that song. Guitars sounded crisp to the bone but I didn't catch any attention on the microphones for the vocals cutting out during the set.

For the encore, they played the same set, but didn't have Hallowed By Thy Name like they did at the 2016 show. Thank you Iron Maiden for coming back to Toronto, and here's to hoping that I will see all of you again in the future again.

Iron Maiden Setlist
  1. If Eternity Should Fail
  2. Speed of Light
  3. Wrathchild
  4. Children of the Damned
  5. Death or Glory
  6. The Red and the Black
  7. The Trooper
  8. Powerslave
  9. The Great Unknown
  10. The Book of Souls
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
  13. The Number of the Beast
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

I did get to purchase an Iron Maiden shirt finally from this show, and I also ended up buying a Ghost shirt and an Iron Maiden patch, so here's a picture of the merch with the ticket:


Metallica w/ Avenged Sevenfold & Volbeat - July 16, 2017

The next morning, I was already prepared to see the American legends for the first time. I had my Will Call papers ready, and I took the train in the afternoon to head to Union Station in Toronto. Once I arrived, I went to the venue and purchased some merchandise which was two shirts and a poster in a tube. The shirts were $45 and the poster was $50. Please give me a discount Lars for the love of Celestia.

I waited until 4pm for the doors to open up, and I managed to enter in with my ticket scanned and I got onto the floor while there was a DJ scratching tunes for the audience while the first band was waiting to come up on stage.

Making sure to keep myself from getting overheated by the large amount of people on the floor with me, I went and bought some water. There I was then, watching as the opening act took to the stage.

Volbeat


The band itself sounded rather interested and it almost reminded me a lot of the modern metal bands that I have seen like Slipknot and Disturbed. I felt like they did a really good job entertaining the audience and there was a load of girls that were just screaming. Hey, the members were even wearing Blue Jays jerseys so they have earned my respect big time.

Volbeat Setlist
  1. The Devil's Bleeding Crown
  2. Seal the Deal
  3. Lola Montez
  4. Heaven nor Hell / A Warrior's Call
  5. Sad Man's Tongue
  6. 16 Dollars
  7. Black Rose
  8. Dead but Rising
  9. Still Counting

Avenged Sevenfold


Loads of my friends on the internet or off the internet are huge fans of A7X, so when I found that I was going to see them in concert - I am pretty sure that they are going to be jealous. Another friend of mine was at this show but was sitting in a different spot so I didn't see him.

The band sounded just as I thought they would when I heard them a few times. They did play two songs from the album Nightmare which was known for featuring the famous past member of Dream Theater Mike Portnoy. Synyster Gates did a great job playing the lead guitar for this show, and maybe one day if I listen to A7X a little more - maybe I'll go to another one of their concerts in the future.

Avenged Sevenfold Setlist
  1. The Stage
  2. Afterlife
  3. Hail to the King
  4. Almost Easy
  5. Buried Alive
  6. Bat Country
  7. Nightmare
  8. God Damn
  9. Unholy Confessions

After a bit of a wait and of the DJ mixing up some tunes, eventually the room went dark and they played a clip from one of those famous Western cowboy films. Then there are flashes on the screen of all four of the members along with the new kick-ass riff as they hit the lights at last.

Metallica


James, Lars, Kirk and Robert opened up the night with Hardwired, the first song on their latest and newly released album Hardwired... To Self-Destruct. The guitars sounded just like it was on the album hearing it for the first time. They also played a load of their classics from their previous eras, including For Whom the Bell Tolls.


One problem was the fucking few people I ran into getting absolutely drunk and shouting random-ass shit that isn't necessary at all. None of them threatened anyone, but they would just shout stuff like "Turn off the music!" while waiting for the bands. Other than that, I didn't really have another problem.


For their set, they had everything from pyro to fireworks at their show, and it went both in and out with a bang. They even played songs I knew like One, Sad but True, Master of Puppets and Wherever I May Roam. Rob managed to also play the infamous bass solo Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) which was famous for being played by the late Cliff Burton.

Seek & Destroy was also performed before the encore began, and they brought a middle school aged boy up onto the stage to play on the drums for that song. Once the final three songs began, they finished the night with Blackened, Nothing Else Matters and the 90s hit Enter Sandman. I was really lucky that I had ear plugs in my ears, otherwise I would have ended up going deaf by the loud banging of the fireworks.

Thank You Metallica for a great night, and I hope to see you again soon! Toronto Loves You!

Metallica Setlist
  1. Hardwired
  2. Atlas, Rise!
  3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  4. Fuel
  5. The Unforgiven
  6. Now That We're Dead
  7. Moth into Flame
  8. Wherever I May Roam
  9. Halo on Fire
  10. Hit the Lights
  11. Sad but True
  12. One
  13. Master of Puppets
  14. Fade to Black
  15. Seek & Destroy
  16. Blackened
  17. Nothing Else Matters
  18. Enter Sandman

For the merch that I bought, here they are:



When the show ended, I managed to get Kirk Hammett's guitar pick for this show that was customized for that day. A picture of it:


Well, that's pretty much it for now. I have now wrapped up on all of the July concerts, and my next concert month will be in September as I will be seeing Deep Purple w/ Alice Cooper. With my friend Emily, we together will be seeing Epica w/ Lacuna Coil, Insomnium & Elantris and Scorpions w/ Megadeth.

Until then, I'll be continuing the Xandria album reviews.

\m/ Brayden \m/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightwish - Demo - 1996 (Review)

Alas, we begin the very first review for the very first product that counts as a studio album. Yes, it's only a demo with three songs, but I still consider it a studio album because it came with the CD of 'Angels Fall First', which you will see in the next review. 'DEMO' from: Nightwish Let's kick off this party with how this demo sounds like. This was back in the year that Nightwish first formed in 1996, the same year this demo came out. At this point, the only three members at the time were Tarja, Emppu and Tuomas. You will notice that there is a large absence of drums and bass from the recording. The demo mainly is composed with beautiful acoustic guitars and synth/clean piano with majestic soaring vocals that Tarja delivers. Funny thing, there is two guitars doing leads but panning left and right. 1. THE FOREVER MOMENTS - 9.5/10 The song kicks off immediately with a grand piano playing a serene tune, before the acoustics kick in with a clean s

By Merlin's Beard! - A "Transformers: The Last Knight" Review

Before I go on to start off on this review, there just has to be the usual warning at the beginning of the reviews for a movie; especially for these kinds of movies since I've done a review on it before with a rant about the fourth film of the series. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Today I finally got a chance to head out to a theatre in Etobicoke and meet up with a friend, as I purchased tickets on the website to see the newest Transformers installation after another three-year long wait. (Last movie was in 2014.) Having been watching these movies for ten years in the theatres, I thought I could settle and go with the tradition of seeing it on the big screen. We waited for a bit as me and her were there since 3pm, but got into the screening at 3:30pm to get our reserved seats and watch the film. When the movie began, I knew somehow that there was going to be the same formula that would be repeated just like with the last three movies before this. To be honest, it is the exact s

June Feels Like Christmas - My Tour Announcement Reactions

Feels like December 25 already by the feeling of the posts that I have just seen this past week. Loads of excitement to come our way in so little time. On the afternoon of June 9, I woke up this morning as usual - grabbing my breakfast and heading straight to my computer. I check my mail and noticed that I was mentioned in a comment from my friend Emily. I grew curious enough, so I got onto the usual and began to check what she mentioned to me. It was in a comment, so I click the notification. When I looked at the link, it mentioned my all-time favorite band Nightwish and it sparked in a bit of interest. The picture fully loaded with a load of text following and this is the picture that I can describe got my attention and made me gasp loudly: That's right! My all-time favorite band are coming back to Toronto in March 2018 and various other cities in both the United States and Canada. For the nine-month tour, their stop in Toronto will be at the legendary Massey Hall wh